Third Year Law Students
The following are the main texts and any supplementary readings which may be useful in students’ studies. Notes published by GħSL are available here. The remainder are available from bookstores, online, the University Library and the Faculty of Laws Library. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
N.B. This list is compiled from the University website and student suggestions. It is a list of suggested readings by students for students in one place. It does not presume to be an official list of suggested readings. For the official list please refer to the University website.
YEARLY COMPULSORY UNITS
Marriage and Separation, Prof. V. Caruana Galizia, GħSL
Laws of Malta - Chapter 12, Chapter 16, Chapter 285, Chapter 287, Chapter 318, Chapter 364, Chapter 385, Chapter 410, Chapter 462, Chapter 491.
French Civil Code - Borgetto M and Lafore R., Code de l’Action Sociale et Des Familles (1st Ed.) Dalloz, 2005
Italian Civil Code
Civil Code of Quebec
Civil Code of Louisiana
EU Regulations and Drafts, including: Regulation (EC) No 2201/2003, Regulation (EC) No 44/2001
UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
Law of Obligations
Civil Code (1868: Chapter 16, Laws of Malta): Book Two, Part Two, Title IV (Articles 959-1235)
J.M.G. Ganado (1978) Third Year Lecture Notes in Civil Law (Malta University Press), GħSL
Prof. V. Caruana Galizia (Revised by Prof. Ganado), Law of Obligations, GħSL
Law of Obligations Cases, Compiled by Marita Pace Dimech, GħSL
James Gordley, (2007), Foundations of Private Law: Property, Tort, Contract, Unjust Enrichment, Oxford: University Press.
Selected Topics in International Law
I. Brownlie. “Principles of Public International Law”. (7th Ed, OUP, 2008).
M. N. Shaw. “International Law”. (6th Ed, Cambridge University Press,2008).
M.D. Evans. "International Law" (3rd, OUP, 2010).
J. Collier and V. Lowe. "The Settlement of Disputes in International Law" (OUP, 1999).
R. Churchill and A.V. Lowe. "The Law of the Sea" (3rd Ed. Cambridge University Press, 1999).
D. Harris. "Cases and Materials on International Law". (7th Ed, Sweet & Maxwell 2010) [Available at Law Library]
SEMESTER 1 – COMPULSORY
Maltese Competition Act
EC Competition Law
Civil Code, COCP
Prof. F. Cremona, Contract of Letting and Hiring, GħSL
Prof. V. Caruana Galizia (Revised by Prof. Ganado), Contract of Sale, GħSL
Emily Finch and Stefan Fafinski, Legal Skills, Oxford University Press, USA; 4 edition (July 18, 2013).
George Watson, Writing a Thesis: a guide to long essays and dissertations, London, Longmann, 1987.
Rowena Murray, How to Write a Thesis, Bershire, Open University Press, 2002.
G.E. Gorman and Peter Clayton, Qualitative Research for the Information Professional: A Practical Handbook, Second Edition, London, Facet Publishing, 2005.
Introduction to Private International Law
Dicey, Morris and Collins on The Conflict Of Laws, London: Sweet & Maxwell, 14th Revised Edition, 2008.
G. C. Cheshire, P. M. North and J.J. Fawcett, Private International Law, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 14th Edition, 2008.
Peter Stone, EU Private International Law Harmonisation of Laws, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, 2006.
A. Briggs & P. Rees, Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments, 5th Edition, 2009.
A. Briggs, The Conflict of Laws, Oxford University Press, 2nd Edition, 2008.
SEMESTER 2 – COMPULSORY
Commercial Obligations, Commercial Sale and Credit Instruments
Commercial Obligations – Prof. F. Cremona (Revised by Dr. J.A. Micallef)
EU Internal Market Law
Craig and De Burca, “EU Law Text, Cases and Materials” Oxford University Press 5th Edition, 2011 (or later edition)
J. Steiner and L. Woods, “EU Law” Oxford University Press, latest edition
TC Hartley, “The Foundations of European Union Law” Oxford University Press, latest edition
N.Foster, “EU Treaties and legislation” Balckstone Press, latest edition.
S. D. Anderman “The Law of Unfair Dismissal” Butterworths, 1978.
S. D. Anderman "Labour Law: Management Decisions and Workers' Rights" Butterworths 3rd Edition, 1998.
D. W. Crump “Dix on Contracts of Employment” Butterworths 5th Edition 1976.
R. Rideout “Principles of Labour Law” Sweet and Maxwell 5th Edition, 1989.
N. M. Selwyn “Selwyn’s Law of Employment” Butterworths 10th Edition, 1998.
S. Auerbach "Legislating for Conflict" Clarendon Press, 1990.
Benson Edition "The Law of Industrial Conflict" McMillan, 1988.
P. Hain "Political Strikes: The State & Trade Unionism in Britian" Penguin, 1986.
M. Whincup "Modern Employment Law" Butterworth-Heinemann 9th Edition, 1997.
SEMESTER 1 – ELECTIVES
Occupational Health and Safety Legislation
- Employer's Liability towards his Employees and Third Parties - George Hyzler Doctorate of Laws Thesis - University of Malta - 1979
- The Law Relating to Health and Safety at Work - Joseph Zammit McKeon Doctorate of Laws Thesis - University of Malta - 1981
- Recent Developments in Occupational Health and Safety Law Pauline Debono Doctorate of Laws Thesis - University of Malta - 2004
- Bibliography quoted in the above theses
European Commission - 3/1993
- Health & Safety - The Law
James Jackson - The New Commercial Publishing Company Ltd. - 1979
- Health and Safety Law
B Barrett and R Howells
The M & E Handbook Series - Longman - 1993
- Occupational Health and Safety Law: Text and Materials Second Edition - Brenda Barrett & Richard Howells Cavendish Publishing Limited – 2000
Initiation au jargon juridique: études en droit
Government Lotteries Act, Chapter 292 of the Laws of Malta
Gaming Act, Chapter 400 of the Laws of Malta
Lotteries and Other Games Act, Chapter 438 of the Laws of Malta
Public Lotto Ordinance, Chapter 70 of the Laws of Malta
Gaming Act Regulations, LN 193 of 1998
Remote Gaming Regulations, LN 176 of 2004
Commercial Tombola (Bingo) Regulations, LN 20 of 2006
Exchange of Electronic Evidence
Relevant journal articles will be provided in class.
Main texts: Eoghan Casey, Digital Evidence and Computer Crime (Academic Press, 2011)
Stephen Mason, General editor, Electronic Evidence (3rd edition, LexisNexis Butterworths, 2012)
Michael R. Arkfeld, Arkfeld on Electronic Discovery and Evidence (3rd edition, Law Partner Publishing, 2014)
Thomas K. Clancy, Cyber Crime and Digital Evidence: Materials and Cases (Second Edition, Lexis Nexis Electronic Publications, 2014)
Stephen Mason, International Electronic Evidence (British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL), (2008)
Public Procurement Law and Policy
- Financial Administration and Audit Act, Laws of Malta, Chapter 174
- General Financial Regulations, Legal Notice 40 of 1996
- Public Procurement Regulations, Legal Notice 296 of 2010, as amended by Legal Notices 47, 104 and 255 of 2012
- Public Procurement of contracting authorities or entities in the fields of defence and security regulations, Legal Notice 411 of 2011, as amended by Legal Notice 106 of 2012
- Public Procurement of entities operating in the water, energy, transport and postal services sectors Regulations, Legal Notice 178 of 2005, as amended by Legal Notices 12 and 131 of 2006, and 410 of 2007
- Directive 2004/18/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 on the coordination of procedures for the award of public contracts, public supply contracts and public service contracts (public sector)
- Directive 2004/17/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 coordinating the procurement procedures of entities operating in the water, energy, transport and postal services sectors (utilities sector)
- Government Procurement Agreement, World Trade Organisation, 1996
- Matsushita Mitsuo et al, The World Trade Organisation, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2006
Public Administration Law
- Julia Beckett and Heidi O. Koenig, ‘Public Administration and Law’, London: Sharpe, 2005. (KM 236.P8)
- Michael Allen and Brian Thompson, ‘Cases and Materials on Constitutional and Administrative Law’, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. (KM61.A55)
Social Law and Practical Issues of Industrial Law
• Employment and Industrial Relations Act (Chapter 452)
• Employment and Industrial Relations Act (Chapter 452)
• MCESD Act (Chapter 431).
• Pensions Ordinance (Chapter 93)
• Social Security Act (Chapter 318)
• Department of Health (Constitution) Ordinance (Chapter 94)
• Mental Health Act (Chapter 262)
• Civil Code (Chapter 16)
• OHSA Act (Chapter 424)
• Public Health Act (Chapter 465)
• Public Curator Act (Chapter 299)
• Housing Act (Chapter 125)
• Education Act (Chapter 327)
• Colling, T. & Terry, M. (2010). Industrial Relations: Theory and Practice. USA: Wiley-Blackwell.
• Dougan, M. & Spaventa, E. (2005). Social Welfare and EU Law. UK: Hart Publishing.
• Greenland, C. (2012). The Collective Agreement in Maltese Industrial Relations. Malta: Union Print.
• Millar, J. (2009). Understanding Social Security. UK: University of Bristol.
• Selwyn, N. (2010). Selwyn’s Employment Law. UK: Oxford University Press.
Industrial Tribunal Decisions
• Various awards of the Industrial Tribunal
International and EU Sports Law
- Gardiner S. (Ed), 'Sports Law', 4th Edition, Routledge, 2012. (MAIN TEXT 1)
- Lewis A. & Taylor J., 'Sport: Law and Practice', 2nd Edition, Tottel Publishing, 2008. (MAIN TEXT 2)
- James M., 'Sports Law', 2nd Edition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Anderson J., 'Modern Sports Law - A Textbook', Hart Publishing, 2010.
- Beloff M. (Ed), 'Sports Law', 2nd Edition, Hart Publishing, 2012.
- The British Association for Sports and the Law, 'The World Sports Law Report'. (available on the internet)
- Bailey D. (Ed), 'Sports Law Administration and Practice'.
- EU Commission, 'The White Paper on Sport', 2007. (available on the internet)
- The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. (available on the internet)
- Council of Europe, 'Draft Convention against the Manipulation of Sports Results', 2013. (available on the internet)
- FIFA, The FIFA Regulations on the Transfer of Players, 2012 (available on the internet)
- UEFA, Club Licensing and Financial Fair-Play Regulations, 2012 (available on the internet)
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport website. (available on the internet)
- Thesis: Paul E. Micallef, 1986; Criminal Courts and Court Martials: a comparative study relating to jurisdiction and procedure; University of Malta; Faculty of Laws; LL.D
- Thesis: Brian Said, 1993; An Assessment of Military Offences arising from The Malta Armed Forces Act; University of Malta; Faculty of Laws; LL.D
- Thesis: Greta Fenech, 2011; Creating an Equilibrium: Fundamental Human Rights and Criminal Justice with Particular reference to terrorism; University of Malta; Faculty of Laws; LL.D
- Thesis: Aaron Bugeja, 2012; From suppresion to prevention - an analysis of the main counter terrorism legal strategies adopted by the Council of Europe in the 'Prevention' Convention (CETS 196)
- British Army Act, 1955
- Malta Armed Forces Act, Chapter 220 Laws of Malta
- Manual of Miltary Law; 1965; The Ministry of Defence, UK.
Church Legislation on Marriage
• BERSINI F., Il nuovo diritto canonico matrimoniale. Commento giuridico-teologico-pastorale, 3ed., Torino 1985.
• CASTAÑO J.F., Il sacramento del matrimonio, Roma 1992.
• CHIAPPETTA L., Il matrimonio nella nuova legislazione canonica e concordataria, Roma 1990.
• Diritto Matrimoniale Canonico, I (= Studi Giuridici LVI) Citta del Vaticano 2002.
• Diritto Matrimoniale Canonico, II/Il Consenso (= Studi Giuridici LVI) Citta del Vaticano 2002.
• Matrimonio canonico fra tradizione e rinnovamento (= Il Codice del Vaticano II, diretta da A. Longhitano), seconda editione, Bologna 1991.
SEMESTER 1 – ELECTIVE STREAMS
Law, State and Society in Southern Europe
- Benedict Anderson, Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. London and NY: Verso, 1991.
- René Girard, Violence and the Sacred. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1977.
- Michael Herzfeld, A Place in History: Social and Monumental Time in a Cretan Town, Princeton: University Press, 1991.
- Italo Pardo, Managing Existence in Naples: Morality, Action and Structure. Cambridge Studies in Social and Cultural Anthropology 104. Cambridge: University Press, 1996.
- Jane Schneider (ed.) Italy's Southern Question: Orientalism in One Country. Oxford: Berg Publishers, 1998.
- Journal of Mediterranean Studies Vol.1 No.1 & various other issues. University of Malta.
Christian Moral Thought
For fundamental Christian Ethics:
- Servais Pinckaers, Morality: The Catholic View. South Bend, Indiana: St. Augustine’s Press, 2001.
- Servais Pinckaers, The Sources of Christian Ethics, T&T Clark, 1995.
- Timothy E. O’Connell, Principles for a Catholic Morality (Rev. ed.). New York: HarperCollins, 1990.
- Richard M. Gula, Reason Informed by Faith: Foundations of Catholic Morality. New York: Paulist, 1989.
- Bernard Haring, The Virtues of an Authentic Life: A Celebration of Spiritual Maturity. Liguori, Missouri: Liguori Publications, 1997.
For Catholic Social Thought:
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, The Social Agenda: A Collection of Magisterial Texts, Robert A Sirico – Maciej Zieba (eds), Città Del Vaticano: Libreria Editrice Vaticana. (Available online)
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, Città del Vaticano: Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2004.
- Coleman John, One Hundred Years of Catholic Social Thought: Celebration and Challenge, New York 1991.
- O’Brien David J – Shannon Thomas A, Catholic Social Teaching: The Documentary Heritage, New York 1992.
- Dwyer Judith A (ed.), The New Dictionary of Catholic Social Thought, Minnesota: 1994.
Gender and Deviancy Law
Arnot, M.L. and Usborne, C. (eds.) (2007) Gender and Crime in Modern Europe, Taylor and Francis.
Belknap, J. (2006) The Invisible Woman: Gender Crime and Justice, Wadsworth Publishing Co Inc (3rd Revised edition).
Martin, S.E. and Jurik, N.C. (2007) Doing Justice, Doing Gender: Women in Legal and Criminal Justice Occupations, Sage Publications.
Morash, M. (2005) Understanding Gender, Crime and Justice, Sage Publications.
Renzetti, C.M., Goodstein, L. and Miller, S.L. (eds.) (2007) Rethinking Gender Crime and Justice: Feminist Readings, Oxford University Press.
Laws of Malta http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/LOM.aspx?pageid=27&mode=chrono
The Internet Journal of Criminology http://www.internetjournalofcriminology.com/
Bioethics and the Law
- Principles of Biomedical Ethics, Beauchamp and Childress, 2004, Oxford: ISBN 0-19-514332-9.
- You and Your Doctor, Pierre Mallia, Agenda Publishers, 2006.
- Health, Bioethics and the Law, Maurice Cauchi, Kevin Aquilina and Bridget Ellul, Malta University Press, 2006.
European Court of Human Rights Case Law Relevant to Malta
- D.J. Harris, M.O’Boyle, E.P. Bates and C.M. Buckley, ‘Law of the European Convention on Human Rights’, 2nd Edition, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Rick A. Lawson, Something Worth Dissenting From – Leafing Through the Dissenting Opinions of Judge Bonello. In Bratza, N. & O'Boyle, M. (Eds.) A Free Trade of Ideas – The Separate Opinions of Judge Vanni Bonello (pp. 9-31). Strasbourg: European Court of Human Rights, 2006.
- Sir Nicolas Bratza and Michael O'Boyle, A Free Trade of Ideas: the separate opinions of Judge Vanni Bonello, Wolf Legal Publishers, The Netherlands, 2007.
- Tonio Borg, The Dissenting Opinions of Judge Giovanni Bonello at the European Court of Human Rights, in Maroma Camilleri and Theresa Vella (eds.), Celebratio Amicitiae: Essays in Honour of Giovanni Bonello, Midsea Books Ltd., 2006.
- Mario Schiavone, When Judges Dissent: Separate Opinions of Judge Giovanni Bonello at the European Court of Human Rights, Valletta, Institute of Maltese Journalists, 2008.
Area of Freedom, Security and Justice Legislation
- Steve Peers EU Justice & Home Affairs Law OUP 3rd Edition, 2011.
- J.W. de Zwann et al (eds.) Freedom, Security and Justice in the EU, TMC Asser Press, 2006.
- Joanna Apap, Justice and Home Affairs in the EU, EE Publishing, 2004.
- N. Walker, Europe’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice, OUP, 2004.
Commercial Agreements under EU Competition Law
EU Competition Law: Text, Cases and Materials, A Jones & B Sufrin, 4th edn, OUP Competition Law, R Whish, 6th edn, OUP An Introductory Guide to EC Competition Law and Practice, V Korah, 9th edn, Hart Publishing Distribution Agreements under the EC Com-petition Rules, V Korah & R O'Sullivan, Hart Publishing.
Principles of International Environmental Law
All the books and documents are available from university library unless website is given from where they are downloadable
- Legal sources documents
- Applicable international treaties
- Birnie, P., and Boyle, A., International Law and the Environment, 3rd Edition Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Brownlie “Principles of Public International Law”, 6th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Simon Lyster, International Wildlife Law, Cambridge, Grotius Publications Limited, 1985.
- Paul De Waart, Paul Peters and Erik Denters, International Law And Development, Dodrecht, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 1988.
- Stanley P. Johnson, The Earth Summit: The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), Graham & Trotman, 1993.
- Robin and David Freestone, International Law and Global Climate Change, Graham & Trotman, 1991.
- Gunnar Sjostedt, International Environmental Negotiation, London, Sage Publications, 1993.
- Philippe Sands, Chernobyl: Law and Communication: Transboundary Nuclear Air Pollution - The Legal Materials, Cambridge, Grotius Publications Limited, 1988.
- Francesco Francioni and Tullio Scovazzi, International Responsibility for Environmental Harm, Graham & Trotman, London,1991.
- Gunther Handi and Robert E. Lutz, Transferring Hazardous Technologies and Substances: The International Legal Challenge, Martinus Nijhoff, 1989.
- Edith Brown Weiss, In Fairness to Future Generations: International Law, Common Patrimony and International Equity, New York, Transnational Publications, Inc., 1989.
- Glen Plant, Environmental Protection and the Law of War: A Fifth Geneva Convention on the Protection of the Environment in the Time of Armed Conflict?, London, Belhaven Press, 1992.
- Patricia W. Birnie and Alan E. Boyle, International Law and the Environment, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1992.
- Alexandre Kiss and Dinah Shelton, International Environmental Law, Transnational Publishers Inc., 1991.
- Alexandre Kiss and Dinah Shelton, Manual of European Environmental Law, Grotius Publications Inc., 1993.
- Milan Bulajic, Principles of International Development Law, Dodrecht, Martinus Nijhoff, 1992.
- Jutta Brunnee, Acid Rain and Ozone Depletion: International Law And Regulation, New York, Transnational Publishers Inc., 1988.
- Edith Brown Weiss, Paul C. Szasz and Daniel B. Magraw, International Environmental Law: Basic Instruments and References, New York, Transnational Publishers Inc., 1992.
- Evangelos Raftopoulos, Barcelona Convention and Protocols, London, Simmonds & Hill Publishing Ltd., 1993.
- World Commission on Environment and Development, Our Common Future (Brundtland Report), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1987.
- Club de Bruxelles, EC Environmental Policy: A Challenge for the 1990s, Bruxelles, Club de Bruxelles, 1990.
- McCormick, J., Environmental Policy in the European Union, Palgrave, 2001.
- Jans, J. H., European Environmental Law, Europa Law, 2000.
- Burchell, J. and S. Lightfoot, The Greening of the European Union?: examining the EU's environmental credentials, Sheffield Academic Press, 2001.
- Avosetta Group, The European Convention and the Future of European Environmental Law: proceedings of the Avosetta Group of European Environmental Lawyers, Europa Law, 2003.
- EC Legislation, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- M. Lee, EU Environmental Law. Challenges, Change and Decision-Making, 2005.
- R Revesz, Foundations of Environmental Law and Policy (1997).
- Golub, Global Competition and EU Environmental Policy (1998).
- Revesz, Sands & Stewart, Environmental Law, the Economy, and Sustainable Development (2000).
- Review of European Community and International Environmental Law. Published by Blackwell Publishers, Oxford, U.K.
- European Environmental Law Review. Published by Graham & Trotman, London, U.K.
SEMESTER 2 – ELECTIVES
- CERRE [Centre on Regulation in Europe]: “Enforcement and judicial review of decisions of national regulatory authorities” – April 2011.
- CERRE: “Independence, accountability and perceived quality of regulators” – March 2012.
- OECD: “Principles for the Governance of Regulators – Public Consultation Draft” – OECD, June 2013.
- OECD: “Recommendation of the Council on Regulatory Policy and Governance” – OECD, 2012.
- OECD: “Restructuring Public Utilities for Competition” – OECD, 2012.
- OECD: “APEC-OECD integrated checklist on regulatory reform – a policy instrument for regulatory quality, competition policy and market openness” – OECD, 2012.
- GUGLER, RAMMERSTORFER & SCHMITT, Regulation, Competition and Liberalization, Journal of Economics Literatura, 44 (22), 325-366.
- HORWITZ, Robert, Judicial Review of Regulatory Decisions: The changing criteria, the Political Science Quartly, Vol. 109, No. 1 (Spring, 1994), pp. 133-169.
- European Policy Forum: “The Report of the Commission on the Regulation of Privatised Utilities” – December 1996.
- DTI [UK Government]: “A Fair Deal for Consumers – Modernising the Framework for Utility Regulaton”- March 1998.
- BALDWIN, Robert:“Understanding Regulation: theory, strategy and practice” - Oxford University, 1999.
- DAMIEN GERADIN, Institutional Aspects of EU Regulatory Reforms in the telecommunication sector: an analysis of the role of National Regulatory Authorities. Journal of Network Industries, 2000.
- OECD: “OECD Reviews of Regulatory Reform – Regulatory Reform in the UK” – 2002.
- Patrick Massey: “Is Irish Utility Regulation failing consumers?” - 2004.
- The Department of the Taoiseach: “Review of the Regulatory Environment in Ireland” - 2009.
- Biggar: “Public utility regulation in Australia: Where have we got to? Where should we be going?” – 2011.
- SASKIA LAVRIJSSEN & ANNETJE OTTOW: “The Legality of Independent Regulatory Authorities, in The Eclipse of the Legality Principle in the European Union” - 2011.
- UK Government: “Streamlining regulatory and competition appeals: consultation on options for reform” – June 2013.
- Mark THATCHER, Independent Regulatory Agencies and Elected Politicians in Europe.
- LAVRIJSSEN AND L. HANCHER, Networks on Track: From European Regulatory Networks to European Regulatory ‘Network Agencies, Legal Issues Of Economic Integration.
- K.J. CSERES, Integrate or Separate: Institutional Design for the Enforcement of Competition Law and Consumer Law, Amsterdam Centre for European Law and Governance Working Paper Series 2013.
- KEARNEY & MERRIL, The Great Transformation of Regulated Industries.
- DAVID A. HYMAN & WILLIAM E. KOVACIC, Competition Agencies with Complex Policy Portfolios: Divide or Conquer?, Current Draft: 20 February 2013.
Social Security Law
- Cap. 318 of the Laws of Malta.
- EU Regulations 883/2004 & 987/2009.
- www.gov.mt - for case-law and legislation.
- https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/social_benefits/ss_overview - information on social security.
- Harris, Neville S. Douglas, Gillian, "Social security law", 2000 - Available at Laws and Theology Library General.
- Pennings, Frans, "Introduction to European social security law", 2001 - Available at Laws and Theology Library General.
- White, Robin, "EC social security law", 1999 - Available at Laws and Theology Library General.
- Wade & Forsyth, "Administrative Law" (Oxford University Press - 8th Edition 2000).
Law on Voluntary Organisations and Foundations
- The Second Schedule to the Civil Code, Cap. 16, Law of Malta.
- Public Collections Act.
- Voluntary Organisations Act, Cap. 492, Laws of Malta.
- Civil Code (Second Schedule)(Fees) Regulations, S.L. 16.07
- Civil Code (Second Schedule)(Notifications and Forms) Regulations, S.L. 16.08
- Civil Code (Second Schedule)(Existing Organisations) Regulations, S.L. 16.10
- Voluntary Organisations (Annual Returns and Annual Accounts) Regulations, S.L. 192.01
- Income Tax Exemption on Philanthropic Work Notice, S.L. 123.24
- Donations (National Heritage) Rules, S.L. 123.96
- Donations (Sports and Culture) Rules, S.L. 123.102
- Foundations (Income Tax) Regulations, S.L. 123.114.
- Code of Good Governance, Practice and Ethics for Administrators of Voluntary Organisations, Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations
- Notes to assist Voluntary Organisations in the application for enrolment in accordance with the Voluntary Organisations Act.
- Accessible through the Commissioner's website: http://msdc.gov.mt/en/vo_home/Pages/vo_home.aspx
National Security Law
- Robert L. Pfaltzgraff, Uri Ra’anan and Warren Milberg, ‘Intelligence Policy and National Security’, Macmillan, 1981.
- David Mansfield, ‘Assessing the Effects of Terrorism on National Security Policies: the Case of Britain and France, B.A. (Hons.) European Studies dissertation, 2005.
- Michael Supperstone, ‘Brownlie’s Law of Public Order and National Security’, London, Butterworths, 1981.
- David Leigh, ‘The Wilson Plot: The Intelligence Services and the Discrediting of a Prime Minister’, Heinemann, 1988.
- Michael Howard, British Intelligence in the Second World War’, London: HMSO, 1991.
- Nigel West and Jon Woranoff, Historical Dictionary of International Intelligence’, Scarecrow P, 2006.
- Peter Hennessy et al, ‘The New Protective State: Government, Intelligence and Terrorism’, Continuum, London, 2007.
Public Finance Law
- Act No. XL of 2014, An Act to appropriate a sum not exceeding to two hundred and twenty-six million, five hundred and eighty-eight thousand euro for the service of the financial year 2014, 12 December 2014 [Second (2014) Appropriation Act 2014]
- Act No. XXXIX of 2014, An Act to appropriate a sum not exceeding two billion, five hundred and thirty-nine million, nine hundred and eighty-three thousand, three hundred and thirty euro for the service of the financial year 2015, 12 December 2014 [Appropriation Act (2015]
- Annual Financial Statements 2013, Government of Malta, The Treasury, Floriana
- Auditor General and National Audit Office Act, Chapter 396, Laws of Malta
- Budget Measures Implementation (2014) Act, Chapter 531, Laws of Malta
- Central Bank of Malta Act, Chapter 204, Laws of Malta
- Constitution of Malta
- Council Regulation (EC) 1466/97 on the strengthening of the surveillance of budgetary positions and the surveillance and coordination of economic policies (the preventive arm of the Stability and Growth Pact)
- Council Regulation (EC) 1467/97 on speeding up and clarifying the implementation of the Excessive Deficit Procedure (the corrective arm of the Stability and Growth Pact)
- Council Regulation (EC) 479/2009 on the application of the Protocol on the EDP
- Directive 2011/7/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 February 2011 on combating late payment in commercial transactions
- Directive 2011/85/EU on requirements for budgetary frameworks of the Member States
- Economic Survey 2014, Economic Policy Department, Ministry of Finance Malta, 17 November 2014
- External Transactions Act, Chapter 233, Laws of Malta
- Financial Estimates 2015, Ministry of Finance Malta
- Fiscal Responsibility Act, Chapter 534, Laws of Malta
- Foster Nigel, Blackstone’s EU Treaties & Legislation 2011-2012, Twenty Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2011
- Internal Audit and Financial Investigations Act, Chapter 461, Laws of Malta
- International Monetary Fund, Malta: Concluding Statement of the 2014 Article IV Mission, 15 December, 2014
- Jackson Paul and Leopold Patricia, O.Hood Phillips and Jackson Constitutional and Administrative Law, Eight Edition, London: Sweet and Maxwell, 2001
- Local Loans (Registered Stock and Securities) Ordinance, Chapter 161, Laws of Malta
- Government borrowing and granting of loans to the Hellenic Republic Act, Chapter 502, Laws of
- National Audit Office Malta, Performance Audit – Housing Authority’s Procurement of repair works on residential units, Report by the Auditor General, November 2014
- National Audit Office Malta, Report by the Auditor General on the Workings of Local Government, Public Accounts 2013
- Malta Membership of the International Monetary Fund Act, Chapter 209, Laws of Malta
- National Audit Office Malta, Annual Audit Report - Report by the Auditor General, Public Accounts 2013
- National Audit Office, Public Procurement analysis through case studies 2007-2009, Report by the Auditor General, NAO 46/2010, October 2012
- National Audit Office, Foundation for Tomorrow’s Schools: Regularity Audit on Procurement, Report by the Auditor General, October 2014
- Participation and guarantees under the European Financial Stability Facility Act, Chapter 505, Laws of Malta
- Regulation (EU) No 1173/2011 on the effective enforcement of budgetary surveillance in the euro area – sanctions regulation
- Regulation (EU) No 473/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2013 on common provisions for monitoring and assessing draft budgetary plans and ensuring the correction of excessive deficit of the Member States in the euro area
- Regulation (EU) No 472/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May 2013 on the strengthening of economic and budgetary surveillance of Member States in the euro area experiencing or threatened with serious difficulties with respect to their financial stability
- Standing Orders of the House of Representatives with respect to the Public Accounts Committee
- Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union
- Treaty on Stability, Coordination and Governance in the Economic and Monetary Union
SEMESTER 2 – ELECTIVE STREAMS
Anthropology of Gender
M. Strathern, After Kinship
C. Levi Strauss, The Elementary Structures of Kinship
P. Bourdieu, The Logic of Practice
The Law of EU Trade Policy
- Treibilcock M.J. & Howese R. The Regulation of International Trade, 3rd ed Routledge, 2005.
- De Burca G. & Scott J. (ed), The EU and the WTO, Hart, 2003.
- Palmeter et al, Dispute Settlement in the WTO, Cambridge, 2004.
- Jackson J. The Jurisprudence of GATT and the WTO, Cambridge 2000.
- The Legal Texts: The results of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations.
Law and Catholic Social Teaching
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, "Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church,"
- Other classic CSD texts from vatican.va.
- H.L.A. Hart. The Concept of Law. 2nd Ed. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1994.
- H.L.A. Hart. Law, Liberty and Morality. Stanford University Press, 1963.
- Patrick Devlin. The Enforcement of Morals. Oxford University Press, 1965, 1968.
- Joseph Raz. The Authority of Law: Essays on Law and Morality. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1979.
- John Finnis, Natural Law & Natural Rights. 2nd. Ed. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- David Dyzenhaus, Sophia Reibetanz Moreau and Arthur Ripstein (Eds.). Law and Morality: Readings in Legal Philosophy. 3rd Ed. University of Toronto Press, 2007.
- Robert Alexy, The Argument From Injustice: A Reply to Legal Positivism. Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Andrei Marmor, Law in the Age of Pluralism. Oxford University Press, 2007.
- H. L. A. Hart. "Positivism and the Separation of Law and Morals". Harvard Law Review 71.4 (1958): 593–629.
- Lon L. Fuller. "Positivism and Fidelity to Law — A Reply to Professor Hart". Harvard Law Review 71.4 (1958): 630–672.
Other articles will be distributed to students.
International Criminal Law
- Cassese Antonio, 2008, 2nd Edition, International Criminal Law, Oxford University Press.
- Cryer Robert, Friman Hakan, Robinson Darryl & Wilmshurst Elizabeth, 2007, An Introduction to International Criminal Law and Procedure, Cambridge University Press.
- Bassiouni Cherif M., 1986, International Criminal Law, Volumes 1-3, Transnational Publishers.
- Kalmthout, A.M and Durnescu, I., 2008, Probation in Europe. Wolf Legal Publications: The Netherlands.
- Rodley Nigel S., 2000, The Treatment of Prisoners Under International Law, 2nd Edition, Oxford University Press.
- Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.
- Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.
- Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
- Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity.
- Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against the Safety of Maritime Navigation.
- Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against the Safety of Civil Aviation.
- Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Seizure of Aircraft.
- Convention on Offences & Certain Other Acts Committed on Board Aircraft.
- Convention on the Marking of Plastic Explosives for the Purpose of Detection.
- Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material.
- Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
- International Convention Against the Taking of Hostages.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Financing of Terrorism.
- Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
- Statute of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- Draft Articles on the Responsibility of States for Internationally Wrongful Acts.
- European Council Framework Decision 2002/584/JHA of 13th June 2002 on the European Arrest Warrant & Surrender Procedures Between Member States.
- European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters; Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
- Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners.
- Interpol Constitution and General Regulations.
Compiled by John Caruana, Joshua Chircop & Marc Dimech